Home ยป Site glitches

Site glitches

Sneeze. Photo by Mcfarlandmo / Flickr.

AoB Blog has been getting more visitors recently. We knew that we’d have to move host by October so we had plans to quietly set up a new server and flip a switch when we moved. That plan was broken when we were unexpectedly popular last week. So we’ve made the leap today. This is the new site. It might be a bit faster.

We’re also adding a secure connection. There will be glitches till I have sorted the certificate out. The site is secure, but we don’t have the 3rd party verification yet.

It would be nice to say that everything was due to an overwhelming rush of millions of visitors, but we do have some features that caused us more problems. We’re testing ORCiD identifiers as an option for bloggers. We’ve changed how we scan for DOIs so that we can add altmetric data and direct links to papers when we blog about other journals as well as Annals of Botany, AoB PLANTS and Tree Physiology. These small features all add a little extra strain on our server.

Our visitors trigger all these processes, and a small but steady increase means that we’ll continue to need bigger and faster server over the next year. So thank you for coming along. If you see any problems, please let me know in the comment box below.

Alun Salt

Alun (he/him) is the Producer for Botany One. It's his job to keep the server running. He's not a botanist, but started running into them on a regular basis while working on writing modules for an Interdisciplinary Science course and, later, helping teach mathematics to Biologists. His degrees are in archaeology and ancient history.

Read this in your language

The Week in Botany

On Monday mornings we send out a newsletter of the links that have been catching the attention of our readers on Twitter and beyond. You can sign up to receive it below.

@BotanyOne on Mastodon

Loading Mastodon feed...