Are you an early career stage biologist (PhD student, postdoc, research fellow) with an interest in science communication and social media? Do you have a knack for writing engaging blog posts? Do you feel passionate about making current plant research more accessible to a wider audience? We are looking for a social media assistant to help us cover new papers published in the ‘Annals of Botany‘ journal, and to contribute to the wider outreach remit of Botany One.
Job title: Social Media Assistant (SMA, Annals of Botany / Botany One)
Directly responsible to: Catherine Hyland (Annals of Botany), Alun Salt (Botany One)
Other contacts: ‘Annals of Botany’ Editor-in-Chief, ‘Botany One’ Editor-in-Chief
The postholder and the post
The SMA will be an early career stage biologist and form part of a team that publishes the journal Annals of Botany (https://academic.oup.com/aob) and the online magazine Botany One (https://botany.one/) for the Annals of Botany Company, a non-profit organisation (https://annalsofbotanycompany.co.uk). The SMA will produce content to promote the visibility and usage of the journal’s academic papers, and support Botany One’s wider plant science outreach activities through original blog posts.
Applications are welcome from anywhere, as the SMA will work remotely and participate in team discussions via remote working software.
• Write posts based on AoB papers for Botany One (WordPress) and liaise with authors to include quotes
• Blog about other AoB activity, where appropriate
• Occasionally contribute to writing original blog posts about current plant science topics
• Cover social media posting for Botany One when necessary
• Advanced knowledge of academic plant science (preferably of molecular and cell biology) and ability to understand complex research
• Good knowledge of WordPress and social media
• The estimated time commitment for this role is 5 hours per week
An honorarium of £5000 to be paid annually, or by arrangement with the postholder. Please note that renumeration will be paid gross, and taxation will be the postholder’s own responsibility.
Please send your CV, cover letter and examples of your writing (as attachment or as URLs in your CV) by midnight on Monday 18th November 2019 to the Botany One Editor-in-Chief, Dr Anne Osterrieder. Anne is also happy to answer any informal questions about the role. Email: editor (at) botany.one.